Saturday, April 02, 2005

Back in Korea

I flew in last night from Japan. I had to stay overnight in Fukuoka to get my work visa, and it was a lovely two days. I'm exhausted and sore and ready for an afternoon in my apartment. This morning I was awakened by my Korean co-teacher calling on the phone.

Him: "Sarah, this is Jay."
Me: *groggy morning voice* "Jay, good morning, how are you?"
Him: "Good. Can you come to school today? We plan lesson for monday."
Me: "No." *mind running, where am I? what country? who am I talking to?*
Him: "No?"
Me: "Um, Jay, don't you remember? I don't work saturdays. I planned all the lessons for the rest of the semester. Just drop by later and I'll go over the plan with you."
Him: "Okay. You take a rest."
Me: *riiiight...dont call me on saturday morning, EVER* "Sure, thanks, Jay."
Him: "See you."
Me: "Byebye" *back to sleep*

So monday I'm back to work now that I'm legal with my visa and everything. Going from west to east is the biggest culture shock I've ever endured. If I did everything they wanted me to do, I'd go out of my mind and lose my identity. I'm perfectly content being the outspoken American girl who my co-workers enjoy but don't quite understand. "What? You don't WANT to work overtime? But our principal would really like it if you would." ... "What? No Saturdays?" It's written into my contract, but they can't seem to remember. On a happy note, the food is sensationally spicy and always leaves my lips burning with with flavor....my apartment is a den of comfort and simplicty, very spacious and modern. I've met all kinds of interesting foreigners and we all bond quite instantly, if only to battle the chaos of work life in Korea. Things are definitely looking up, and I'm quite determined to have a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home