Friday, September 30, 2005

honeybrush

I drove to work Wednesday morning in cloud- couldn't see more than 50 feet ahead of me. Today it's raining, and I wish I were vineyard-hopping or at home drinking honeybrush tea, enjoying the sweet, unhurried exchanges of a grey autumn afternoon.

I woke up at 7 this morning and sat queitly for an hour before beginning the daily rituals- coffee, bagel, make-up, email, toothbrushing. When I arrived at work I spent about an hour with a girl who used to be a meth addict but is now pregnant, and she is just a darling. She comes in every week to talk and go through parenting workbooks or bible studies, and we always have a good time. The work that we do here is a ministry done by women for women and their children. So I guess that Women's Ministry class I had was actually useful ;o) I remember sitting in a classroom full of girls (and one guy named Levi who was kind of a smartass) reciting aloud in unison, "I cry out to God Most High, to God who performs all things for me." (one version says, "who fulfills His purpose for me" ..ps.57:2) A bit archaic and sing-songy in away, but entirely unforgettable. Dr. Watney's wife came in specially just to teach that class, and she is a real lady, if I've ever known one. She had it going on... and in her own way, she knew how to instill the essence of what it means to be a lady- to trust, to be patient, gentle, to be led, to know that the best thing you possess is your ability to cry out to God Most High, who performs all things for His little girls. Intercession is the lifeblood of any ministry, and the best way you can help women is to teach them to call out to their greatest Advocate. So yeah, thanks Karen Watney. You're the finest. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home