Sunday, October 16, 2005

Reading Lolita in Tehran

Book Reveiw Time. Yay! I recently completed Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi, upon Marion's recommendation, and I absolutely loved it. It's basically a short memoir in books of an Iranian literature professor. She taught in Iran during the revolution and was forced to leave one of her posts for refusing to wear the veil. After that she began a little book class in her home for some of her female students to study the forbidden western litarature. This book is the coziest autumn read I've had in a long time, and at the same time is highly educational about Iranian culture and history. Nafisi has an intuitive grasp of what it takes to write good fiction, though her story is real. When he first told me about this book, I didn't think it sounded very interesting, but he compelled me to go get it. I couldn't have been more pleased. I think you'll enjoy it, too. Plus we're in the middle of the month of Ramadan, and you need to know more about Persians. :o)

1 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, October 16, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

I've been meaning to read it for about a year. I shall get to it soon I am sure since you have given such a glowing report.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home