Saturday, October 29, 2005

Rx: October

Any pizza with chicken on it demands to be eaten with ale. This public service announcement comes to you courtesy of miss coffey's kitchen. I've had the loveliest October that a girl can have and am ending the month with autumnal cleaning, fresh pillow cases, and a Jane Austen novel. I've danced in piles of yellow leaves, walked through the organic market, played some poker, visited my favorite winery, had lunch with my sister and her babyloo, and thoroughly enjoyed my work. And I am happy to report that at all times I have been safe without harm and healthy as a ten year old kid. Not believing that I could live without a certain hat-wearing gentleman of yesteryear, I spent most of August crying myself to sleep every night, distilling a more potent version of myself in the bitterly wept tears of a silly-headed maiden. The fleeting heartaches of youth quickly reacquaint a person with the value of surrender. Twas the witch's message to Dorothy in the sky, was it not? :o)

My October wine recommendation is the The Rocca delle Macie Rubizzo Sangiovese with pasta, cheese, steak, just about anything. It's extremely versatile. I had it with the seafood portofino at the Olive Garden when I went with my sister, at the recommendation of a sympathetic waitress who shared my strong preference for reds, even with seafood. My sister, the pop culture lovin' mother of a dolly-faced pincess, ordered Chateau Ste. Michelle's riesling and found that it was more sweet than any she'd ever tasted. I found it to be slightly unpalatable, definitely not something to be had with a large lunch. But to each her own. I was shocked out of my mind to discover that the baby loves Eggplant Parmigiana. It is a little known fact that fondue is the way to my heart, and my niece acted as though she was doing me a favor by eating the little bites of it that I fed her from our appetizer. But then again how could she know how I feel about fondue? She's going to get spoiled rotten. :o)

So afterwards we paid a visit to the Hauer of the Dauen, which I learned means "the first light of day." I like that. Officially they were closed for tasting, but I hunted someone down and purchased the wines I wanted for our Thanksgiving feast, and then we headed back to McMinnville. I feel like a kid in a candy store being so near to all of these vineyards. What am I going to do when I no longer live in the Northwest?

3 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, October 29, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

why would you want to live somewhere other than the northwest? at least, if you were in the continental united states. i hope you don't plan on moving back to nasty ol' oklahoma

 
At 1:55 AM, October 30, 2005, Blogger peemil said...

I wish I could write word like the gorgeous whisps of smoke you create.

 
At 11:32 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

I'd move back in a heartbeat...under the right conditions. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home