Sunday, April 24, 2005

He's too stoned...Nintendo.

Because I was awake extremely late last night with a bout of insomnia, I came to school this morning as perhaps a bit of an american twit, wearing bubble gum pink pants, a jean jacket, and gum to hide the coffee breath. I've been told numerous times by my english speaking Korean friends that I will never understand the Korean mind. I gave up trying to be one of them seven years ago. Everyone stares at me anyway, so I might as well dance around at the crosswalk on my way to school and give them a real reason to be looking. At 8:10 I have a class for the smart kids who want to study english three times a week far too early in the morning. To be clear, it's not of their own volition but rather by request of the program director. Put this native speaker to work! ;o) They encourage me to do creative culture lessons, so this morning I gave them a real winner. American Hi-Fi sings a song called "Flavor of the Week." I assume we're all familar with the lyrics....
"Her boyfriend, he dont know anything about her. He's too stoned. Nintendo. I wish that I could make her see. She's just the flavor of the week." and on it goes. The lyrics are fairly clear, easy to understand, and replete with references to American culture.


Because of the lack of availability of weed in Korea, the students were unfamiliar with its effects. I briefed them on exactly what the American government thinks of marijuana and what high school students do anyway- where, when and how. :o) I actually had to draw the leaf on the board, because they didn't know what I was referring to. Good times in the classroom today. Mondays are always my best days, because I've had the weekend to rest. Seoul is the third largest metropolitan area in the world, following Tokyo and New York, and living in Asia can be extremely stressful for a westerner. Weekends are a necessity. My kiwi friend came over for dinner and spent the night saturday. Then it was cocktails at noon on Sunday followed by an afternoon of shopping. Later I visited the only english-speaking church in my area and it was a bit too tame and proper for my taste- made me feel like going home to play untame music and paint my toenails.

No school for me friday because of midterms. Woo! Another short week.

3 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, April 25, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Angie! How the heck are ya? Do you have a blog? I dont even know if you will read this, but I wanted to say hi, and I dont have your email. Tried to contact you. Anyway, it's nice to hear from you. How did you end up where you are? Are you enjoying life away from the USA? Is it permanent?

 
At 6:08 AM, April 26, 2005, Blogger asiatown77 said...

7 years? Dear sweet.....7 YEARS?

 
At 6:15 AM, April 26, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Good Lord, I havent been here 7 years, if that's what you thought I meant. I lived here for six months about 7 years ago for Taekwondo when I was training for nationals. I'm barely making it through my first two months of actually WORKING here. Not sure that I can even make it a whole year. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home