Thursday, June 23, 2005

"It weaves, it catches, it overnights..."

Today was a rough day at work, and that's putting it mildly. It seems petty to rehash everything that happened, and I don't wish to complain, since the work load is actually very light. It's the work relations that have been frustrating. Maybe there's too much estrogen floating around the office? This week and next week I am conducting oral exams in my office for each individual student in my conversation classes. That's over 700 students coming in and out of the office. One particular class was never informed about this exam, thanks to my ever forgetful co-teacher. I noticed that there was a whole string of students who were doing poorly. In fact, I failed them one right after another, somewhat heartlessly, I must say, until I discovered that there was some injustice. I asked one of the boys who had lived in New Zealand for awhile if the students knew about this exam, and he said no. So I sent a note back to Jay, saying, "Did you even tell the students that they would have this exam? I'm failing nearly all of them. Do you want me to continue or should we wait until next week when they have a chance to study?" He came to my office all flustered and needed direction. I told him that the answer was simple- tell the students to study and have the exam next week. He suggested all kinds of illogical, inefficient ways to remedy the situation... for example, changing the questions or allowing this to be a practice exam and then have the actual one next week. Waste of time. Plus then they already know all the questions on the exam. Finally, he came to his senses and followed my instructions. That was the smallest problem of the day. The others are not worth mentioning, but I will post this next paragraph for your amusement.

I had to edit the school newspaper, nearly 30 articles of nonsensical, unintelligible sentences strung together haphazardly and riddled with error. Here is one student attempting to write a book report:

he time does not request plentifully to do and are ignorant the love which is pure and farmer and the grumble man with underdeveloped genital organ with spirit of young college lifestyle the once book in thin novel and it weaves it catches it overnights and when it goes it reads and it is a book. Now the personal attention advances frequently and only me this time when it thinks, once will read this book and the farming village which it will carry the hero who enlightens and it tries comparing will be meaning.

I think he used babblefish or some other such program. Korean students are infamous for cheating and plagiarism. They have to have parents come sit in the class room during exams as monitors, because students will try any way to get a good grade that they did not take the time to earn. But man, this editing was brutal. I wanted to pack up my things and leave.

In other news... My apartment is spotless. I stayed home and cleaned for several hours. Do you find that the landscape of your mind is much more peaceful when your surroundings are clean? I think it boosts motivation somehow. Also, I bought a little ipod Shuffle from an Irishman in my neighborhood. I'm not normally a fan of apple products, but this one is treating me alright. Tomorrow is Friday.

3 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, June 23, 2005, Blogger Al said...

Whether your surroundings influence your mind, or vice verca, it means shit is fucked up. A clear mind can only be achived through a total harmony of the internal and external. Feng Shui is for those in conflict.

 
At 2:20 PM, June 23, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Hm. yeah, no thanks. I think I'll just make sure to clean my apartment regularly. ;o)

 
At 4:12 PM, June 23, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

I'm always much happier reading or writing or doing anything when the house is clean. At the moment it is simply not possible, since 50 years of other people is being shuffled out of it. So I try to push the thoughts of it to the back of my mind. Nothing is cozier though than having a clean apartment and sitting with a cup o' coffee or tea and reading. Add in thunderstorm, and it's almost perfect. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home