Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Cathartic Wednesday

Wednesday evening. My co-workers are so patient. God bless them. Seriously, I had it out with them today. We talked about all the miscommunications, the times when they make me feel like an animal in a cage, situations and meetings for which I cannot find a reason- all hatched in the eastern mind and completely unfathomable to me, how the previous foreign teacher and I are so very different, and how I seem to be discovering that ESL teaching is really not my thing. It was such a healthy discussion. I apologized for how immature I can be from time to time. I'm still learning to leave personal problems at home and not let them leak into my attitude at work. I'm far too emotional, and I think that my students and co-teachers notice that. At least they know that I know that it's a problem and that I'm working on it. We are all now a little more well-known to each other and a little less like characters from a never-ending story book about public high school in Asia.

Came home, had a beer, a grilled cheese sandwich, some oreos, and then hopped in the shower. I love my daily shower(s)! The activity of showering somehow embodies renewal, transfusion, regeneration, and redemption all in one. Shortly thereafter I spoke with my oldest and dearest friend on the phone, ate an orange, emailed another foreign teacher about an agreement to rent/share my apartment on the weekends, and now I'm going to bed early. This week I've taken a liking to sleeping early and then getting up while it's dark to have coffee in the stillness of the morning. It helps to focus and internalize the fact that: I am not what I do. I am who I am and what I do is a reflection of that.

2 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, April 29, 2005, Blogger asiatown77 said...

If you've only been here 2 months, give it time. I spent three hellish months in China and love it here in Korea, partly because I got a good (if brutal) introduction in Canton. Maybe you will find Japan, an altogether more organized place (YES! It is possible to be more organized than Korea!) more to your liking.

 
At 6:52 AM, April 30, 2005, Blogger asiatown77 said...

Check your pm's at Dave's cafe....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home