Sunday, May 08, 2005

Cult Cinema in Shinchon

After making quite a late night of Saturday, Sunday in Shinchon was very mellow- the same kind of mellow that you get after an entire day of crying, almost anesthetized, knowing that imminent exhaustion is at hand. How else to spend one's youth? :o) I woke up around 11:30 or so to find Rochelle already awake reading the newspaper. Crazy kiwis ;o) We took off to meet they guys had korean food at a place that provided us with red bibs. After parting ways with the boys, we wandered around Shinchon aimlessly until we decided that we should just go to a DVD room and watch a movie. These rooms are actually designed for couples to come and watch a DVD on a moderately sized screen in a private room that has bed slightly angled up so that you can almost sit up and watch the movie. ;o) Perfect for a sleepy sunday afternoon. Rochelle chose Point Break, insisted that it was a classic and that everyone must see it. I couldn't disagree and wasn't feeling particular. I laughed so hard! But it's really not meant to be a comedy. Point Break, 1991, Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze- a wildly cheesy movie about a group of surfers who are also seasonal bank robbers. One of the main characters is called Bodhi, the Bodhisattva. Bodhisattva is a term in the Buddhist religion meaning an enlightened being who, out of compassion, forgoes nirvana in order to save others. Bodhi means "wakefulness." It also means a very young, rugged Patrick Swayze pretending to be a guru of spiritual surfing. :o) hehehe. If you haven't seen it, just imagine Keanu Reeves saying, "Dude, I'm with the FBI," and you've pretty much got the gist of it. Apparently, this movie has quite the little cult following, at least in New Zealand anyway ;o) I have to say that it was very entertaining, and Keanu Reeves does end up saving his girl's life in the end... I love that kind of hero story, even if it cheeze ball central.

Cult cinema is an interesting thing to study. Blockbuster should have a section just for that. Last year my boyfriend at the time introduced me to the Evil Dead movies...I'm not a fan, but there's some funny stuff there :o) Watching Point Break far away from home in Asia made me a little homesick. I'd give just about anything to be able to run in to Blockbuster, pick up a handful of these movies.... maybe
Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Big Lebowski, Office Space, and Strange Brew... with a large bottle of yellow tail shiraz, a 7-layer burrito (no rice), a large quilt, and a cuddle buddy.

What are your favourites? My sister likes Donnie Darko. If anyone says Labyrinth, I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore ;o) And no, Fight Club doesn't count.

6 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

To which sister do you refer? As, I for one, am quite certain Donnie Darko is not one of my favorite movies, although it is amusing enough. Miss Marjie's top 5 are as follows! Egads!

In no particular order:
Pulp Fiction
Ed Wood
The Godfather
Silence of the Lambs
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas


I'm also very fond of Miracle, a touching tale of how the US beat the CCCP in the O-lympics! :D

 
At 5:46 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Of course I mean YOU! :OP And if you find it amusing enough that means you like it, no? You're the one who told me to watch it.

 
At 6:56 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

Not enough to mention liking it though.
:P

and why wouldn't you mean hannah.

 
At 10:26 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Well, fiddlesticks!! Do you want me to take it off??

 
At 10:47 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

Hahahahah. No.
I'm making a cake.
Yay me or something.
I have no life.

 
At 10:50 PM, May 09, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Well, as I was reminded by an old friend just this week: Dont shit the baker. That's all I have to say about cake-making and no life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home