Sunday, June 26, 2005

Protector

It's raining steadily, the first soggy night we've had in a long time. Is this the beginning of monsoon season? I love it. Saturday night was a lot of fun but exhausting once again. I went to Panchos again and met with friends. They are pictured below, all Kiwis and Australians, except me, which was rather unusual. How did we get so many of you in one place? :o) Here in order we have Brad, Rochelle, a kiwi Sarah (not me), James, and Luke. Quite a fun crowd. The second picture is Rochelle, James, and me. We went to Mary Jane's, a cute little bar in Hongdae where they will play your 80's music requests all night, accompanied by free jello shots. We sang and danced and were silly. I had such a good time with them. Man, I love you guys from the giant islands!! Americans tend to be a little paranoid and spoiled from time to time, and I see that coming out in my personality. But when I'm with you water babies of Oceania, there is a relaxed, merry spirit that does my heart good.





So lately I've been hearing a lot of stories about foreign girls being attacked here. One of my friends was nearly raped by a taxi driver a few weekends ago. I don't feel afraid, but it makes me sad to think that those who are supposed to be fathers in the land would seek to harm the young women. What kind of a destructive people are we becoming, where we are blind to the necessity to protect and cherish the weaker ones? What does it mean to be a real man but to protect all that has been given to you and all those with whom you cross paths, not to exploit their weaknesses, nor use strangers for your own selfish desires. When you meet a young woman who is alone and unattached to a man, please see that she is in need of your consideration, at the very least. Do not try to take her home to bed with you just because she seems weak and lonely. Do not use your strength to force your desires on her, but rather win her by your willingness to use that strength on her behalf. We need you. We need your protection. As a woman living alone these many months in a foreign land, I have been mindful more and more of my God, my Keeper and Protector. Without trust in Him, I think I'd be a very fearful person, because I'm really not very strong or quick to run away. Tonight I am meditating on this thought from Psalm 121:

1 I look up to the mountains--
does my help come from there?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
who made the heavens and the earth!

3 He will not let you stumble and fall;
the one who watches over you will not sleep.

4 Indeed, he who watches over Israel
never tires and never sleeps.

5 The LORD himself watches over you!
The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.

6 The sun will not hurt you by day,
nor the moon at night.

7 The LORD keeps you from all evil
and preserves your life.

8 The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger kushibo said...

Another good Biblical passage to ponder would be the part of Genesis (?) that includes the story of Noah, because the weather report says we're going to get eight days straight (that's 1/5 of 40!) of rain.

 
At 8:38 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger twilight said...

Is is possible that part of God protecting you involves poking any attacker with a stick? That's right, from the nasty side of martial arts, I suggest carrying a Yawara stick, also known as a kubotan or well-made pen. It should work nicely with TKD, especially with a hammer strike. Here's a link to an old training manual for police using the yawara stick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home