Friday, May 13, 2005

Free the Grapes

Good news, my friends! Texas becomes the 27th state to allow interstate, direct to consumer shipments of wine. There are 24 states that still prohibit consumers from purchasing wines directly from out-of-state wineries. This is something I feel very strongly about and have been inconvenienced by these undue restrictions in the past. Last year I joined an organization called Free the Grapes, because I was living in Oklahoma and was directly affected by the prohibitions. I contacted my legislators urging them to oppose prohibitions on interstate, wine direct shipments and to support positive legislation that serves consumers and their state governments and regulatory agencies. They wrote me back, quite promptly, and agreed, although they got my name wrong in the letter. ;o) That's okay, as long as they are aware of what needs to be done.

Here's a quote from their recent newsletter: “We should all toast the Texas legislature, who stood up in support of consumer choice in wine,” said Jeremy Benson, executive director of Free the Grapes!, the consumer and winery grassroots coalition (www.freethegrapes.org). “The bill opens Texas, the fourth largest state for wine enjoyment, to direct shipments and strongly supports Texas’ family wine farms,” he added.

So now the whole state of Texas is wet for shipments! My dear friends in Oklahoma and other dry states, you can help by joining Free the Grapes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home