Thursday, May 12, 2005

We're Being Watched

Thursday evening after a long and stressful day. The principal, vice principal, some supervisors, and the first and second year English teachers came to watch my conversation class today. Jay, my korean co-teacher, was a bit nervous. I felt nothing of the kind, as I rather enjoy public speaking and was very much in my element. Having an audience took the drudgery of the mundane out of the task of teaching, and I welcomed the opportunity. However, later in the afternoon our roles were reversed when we had to attend a meeting about our teaching skills and the lesson plan. We all sat in the conference room, and it started to feel so very formal. Everyone was dressed up and they all took seats far away from me, which made me feel like I was on display at the circus. When Jay walked in the room, I patted the seat next to me and said, "Hey, sit by me. I'm scared." He laughed and everyone else had a good chuckle. I wasn't kidding. These past couple of weeks I've been under the gun in several areas of my life. Having everyone gathered around to assess me was slightly unpleasant. The vice principal began a long speech, which no one bothered to translate for me. People nodded solemnly, and looked very respectful. I looked at Jay to see if maybe he would whisper a translation of what was being said, and he glanced at me as if to say, "Not now." *sigh* Patience....

After the vice principal left, everyone gave their own critique. Most of them said that they were, "satisfied with my class" and that the students seemed to be happy. Then they offerred their suggestions, all of of which were valid. Someone asked me if I have all the objectives mapped out and if I've used those lessons successfully before in my teaching. I was as honest as I could be. "I've never taught any of these lessons before, never had any teaching experience, and have no map of my objectives." So that was the main thing that they want- an articulation of my objectives. No prob. I just didn't know they needed one ;o) Jay is a real teacher, and a damn good one at that. I'm spoiled rotten to have him as a co-teacher, because he's the best Korean man I've ever met. (and that's really saying something, as I'm not a big fan) He quiets the students and tells them to listen to me when they're getting out of line. He lectures them when they need it. We're so completely opposite. He never eats breakfast. I eat it religiously. He loves karaoke. I hate it. He's tranquil and patient. I'm not. But I'm working on it! One day the students were so incredibly lazy, and I was getting exceedingly frustrated. When the bell rang, I was out of there in a flash. He came to my office and asked, "Is there a problem?" I went off about how the students don't want to learn and how I didn't come from the other side of the world to be a freakin babysitter, and on and on, most ungraciously, I'm embarrassed to admit. After I had said everything and too much, he was silent for a few moments pondering what had happened. Then he spoke one sentence: "Sarah, you have to mold them." That's all he needed to say. All the frustration melted out of me and was replaced with regret for having been such a lame-o, so immature. This guy knows what he's doing with young minds and he puts up with all the trouble of having an impatient, inexperienced, American girl around, not only at work but also living in his building. "Jay, my coffee maker won't work. Can you come over and see what's wrong with it? I can't read the instructions." On our way back from the immigration office, "Um, can you pull over? I need to eat right now." :O) God bless him, for reals.

Finally, tomorrow is Friday. Welcome, dear weekend. Stay as long as you please. :o)

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Juggy said...

Wow, Blogspot is taking forever to load tonight.

Anwyas I wanted to say, cool blog and it has a good vibe to it.

That being said, are there any vibes between you and this other teacher? From your post, it sounds possible.

 
At 3:00 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Nope, no vibes. I'm not attracted to Koreans phsycially or culturally or emotionally or in any way. I can recognize wisdom in this guy when I see it without having to attach myself to him. ;o) hehe. Besides, I make everybody sound like a superhero in my blog. I dont mention that he he's always late, forgetful, passive, your typical Korean man. He needs me to tell him what to do or it just won't get done. Yeah, so no vibes whatsoever. He's just a good guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home