Sunday, May 15, 2005

Friends, Neighbors, and Lovers

Have you tried the new "European" Pringles? Oh baby, you've got to try them. They are Fresh Tomato and Garlic flavour, and they're not joking about the fresh tomato! I sampled some this weekend while shopping at the Home Plus (basically the Korean version of SuperWalmart, but a bit nicer). I also bought a whole chicken and picked its bones tonight to make chicken and croissant sandwiches while singing old Heart songs at the top of my lungs. The neighbors must think there's some kind of looney in their building. :o)

It's now sunday night and I'm feeling well after a quiet weekend in the neighborhood. Friday night I met another English teacher who lives in my neighborhood and he and Rochelle and I had dinner at TGIFridays. Afterwards we relocated to the Goose bar, which is a short taxi ride from my place. There we met with a couple of my dear korean co-workers pictured below. Erin, me, Mae, and Rochelle.


This evening I sit quietly, desperately cultivating a much-needed spirit of patience. The remnants of spring are being woven into a summer that I will never forget. I'm contemplating the nature of true love. It's expensive. What is great love? Since I was a child, I was taught that Greater love has no one that this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. Tonight as I stare out the window into the pollution-filled skies of the greater Seoul area, knees drawn up to my chest, I am far away, being further and further grounded in the knowledge that I am my beloved's, And his desire is toward me. [song of solomon 7:10] What painful destruction I deserve for the uncontrollably deep darkness of my soul without Him. Who am I that He should know my name? But I hope in this great love and in it I know my freedom.

Enemies of God with no excuse
Knowing what was right we turned from You
Given up to sin, condemned to die
Even then You chose to give us life

Jesus thank You for the Cross
For the blood that sets us free
The crimson stain of all our sin
Washed away in Your mercy

Everyone of us deserves to die
But You save all who hope
In Your great love
(vineyard - "thank you for the cross")

4 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, May 16, 2005, Blogger D said...

Ha Ha I think you are about the only one to post on my blog so- I'll post on yours. Your contemplation is commendable, and I trust you still love life and will never pray for death like Jonah. I will be on vacation for two weeks in the states so I could hardly beseech God for a final silence now. I still feel a bit creepy on reading other peoples blogs - especially when they are deep and somewhat intimate like yours... Anyhow hang in there and contemplate meeting a rather large Jeju Boyo if you'd like...Ok Good Den I should tuck my chubby body into bed.

 
At 6:56 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger peemil said...

It'll be a great day when they have Salt and Vinegar.

 
At 7:35 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

"Everyone of us deserves to die"

I don't.

 
At 9:41 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Yeah I look for Salt and Vinegar every time I go to the store, hoping that something will have changed. You'd think they'd have it... I mean, you'd think that Koreans would like that kind of flavour. No?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home