Saturday, August 27, 2005

Him Dryhten sylf, heofona heáhcyning

I've been reading A History of the English Language lately, originally inspired by a deep curiosity about Norsemen and their influence on our language. As a side note, let me just say that Celestial Seasonings has really outdone themselves in making their Perfectly Pear White Tea! It's slightly sweet in a way similar to white chocolate, and it's caffeinated, which enables me to lie awake late at night, lost in tales of Teutonic conquest and the strange words of a people long dead. I must admit that I am slightly infatuated with the English that was spoken before William the Conqueror succeeded in claiming the English throne. It's rougher, less pretentious, and steeped in the flavor of heroism. When I move my lips to form the sounds that they spoke, it calls to everything that remains yet unconquered in me. I find myself bristling at the mention of Normandy and find that I hale Christmas day, 1066, as somewhat of a tragedy. Many English words that existed before the people were subjected by the French are much more beautiful than those of any romance language. Inherent in them are the strength and character of northern people, the distant footfalls of an era never again to be revisited.

Notes from the library...I picked up D.H. Lawrence for the first time the other day and just as quickly put him back down again. The characters he creates feel so artificial, their situations contrived and self-serving. What I wouldn't give for more of the warm, intimate psychological narrative of Tolstoy's novels. Any recommendations? I've hit upon Edith Wharton and will soon finish her House of Mirth, which I plan to follow up with Age of Innocence. At the library today I picked up Salinger's Franny and Zooey to read together with my compañero favorito, a volume of Rumi's love poems, Beowulf, and Memoirs of a Geisha. Because I have a great deal of blessedly free time on my hands, I would appreciate recommendations in the same vein as the above mentioned. I like books that are best read in fuzzy slippers with a cup of tea after everyone has already gone to sleep. My little sister is a notorious bookworm, and if she doesn't post me a list of satisfying reads, somebody's gonna catch a beat down. Hehe, just kiddin. Kind of.


WANTED: Teutonic Warrior Man. Must be fond of hats. :o)

When you say you love me
The world goes still, so still inside and
When you say you love me
In that moment I know why I'm alive

4 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, August 31, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

The Brothers Karamazov by F. Dostoevsky
Crime and Punishment by F. Dostoevsky
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Harry Potter 1-6 by JK Rowling
Dark Tower 1-6 by Stephen King
The Valuetale of Louis Pasteur: The Value of Believing in Yourself
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Burned Alive: A Victim of the Law of Men by Souad
Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman

 
At 11:37 PM, August 31, 2005, Blogger twilight said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:39 PM, August 31, 2005, Blogger twilight said...

Wow, I haven't read all of the above, but about half are excellent. I will say that I stopped reading Crime and Punishment almost immediately because it had the most depressing beginning of any book I've ever read. Good calls, miss marjie.
I'll throw in The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Till We Have Faces by Lewis.

 
At 10:49 AM, September 01, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

David Sedaris is pretty funny. He's got tons of books if you find you like him. Although Laura is right, it's not exactly what you were looking for.

Do you find you're getting a lot of spam lately? I posted something the other night and got three different spam comments within 5 minutes, one of which wanted to help me quit smoking AND learn to play the guitar...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home