Tuesday, May 24, 2005

arcana imperii

I brought my own coffee to work, because what they call coffee here is mostly sugar mixed with a couple of instant granules. When I arrived in Korea, I bought a coffee maker. The first time I used it, to my dismay and confusion, it leaked all over, thanks to Korean craftsmanship. I took the thing apart and now use the strainer and filters to make my coffee cup by cup. Brewing and drinking coffee must be a traditional American ritual, calming the soul and loosing the muse to whirl and dance and make lively in the mind. I'm holding it in my hands like this very cup is tantamount to survival. What else? Bubble baths... have you ever had cognac and candles while in the bath? My word, you've not yet lived... ;o)

It's been a rough week. And it's only Tuesday! Something's trying to crash the party of my destiny. So I pray, Tuck me away somewhere, far away, inside Your closest pocket. Hide me, shield me, and send Your hosts of armies to fight for me. Yesterday I had major problems at school and wanted to give my notice immediately. I cried for two hours before going to bed unreasonably early. Every day battling the oppressive spirit conformity is starting to wear on me. I thought that because I enjoy public speaking I would also enjoy teaching. It isn't so. I enjoy life in Asia, but I'm not a teacher. Public schools here seem to systematically stamp out any spark of creativity or independent thinking. It grieves me to arrive at school every morning to see lines of uniformed students being inspected by a head teacher for any small difference in their physical appearance. They'll be there from 8 until 10 PM with no time to play, all youthful imaginations being crushed in the wake of a clumsy, mindless authority structure. It's soul-numbing and passionately defended by those who have never been taught to think for themselves. I don't know that I'm cut out for this...

Now... much later. I'm drowning my PMS-induced irritability in Straberry "Berry Very Good" Ice Cream from the Home Plus. I think I could eat this whole carton. No self-control when it comes to ice cream. I want to work for Starbucks quality assurance department, traveling and tasting the coffee of the nations. If anyone knows of such a job, please let me know. Until then, I remain Asia's capricious schoolmarm.

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, May 24, 2005, Blogger Aaron said...

Wow, another teacher in Korea. I just randomly found this blog (somehow). Nice setup you've got going.

Don't worry too much about work. It's just a job, it doesn't mean a thing. You're right: those kids get a lot of crap throughout the day, so try to be something a bright spot for them. Don't take class too seriously, lighten it up. Figure out a way to make them look forward to your class as a moment of relief.

Almost everyone who comes here figures they're not a teacher for the fist little while. I did, and I'm in year four now.

Good luck to you.

 
At 7:32 AM, May 25, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

I LOVE your blog. Here I sit in Suburbia, doing laundry, watching children, and am simultaneously envious of your adventures, and grateful for my coffee maker!
Good writing turns the world around for me, and makes me see the charm of the everyday task.
Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home