Thursday, May 19, 2005

Unexpected Public School Vacations

My lesson this week for conversation class is called: "Come to My Party!" I wisely chose to omit the statement that would naturally follow up if it were my party... "There will be jello shots!" We talked about different kinds of parties and what happens at them...slumber parties, New Year's Eve parties (they all hooted and howled when they heard that we kiss at midnight :o), frat parties, bachelor parties, and bridal showers. My classes are mostly boys and girls separated. Imagine explaining a bridal shower to Asian high school boys. I asked if they knew what it was, and one of them said, "A party where all the women take a shower together?" HAHAH. Don't you wish, you naughty kids. Later on I gave a listening/speaking performance assessment test using an interview style. Two students came at a time to my office. They were so sweet and a little nervous. I was suprised and pleased with their candor. I asked, "What is your personality like?" One girl answered, "I'm very outgoing and narrow-minded." Another, when asked what thing she would like to try for the first time, answered, "I want to try a diet, because I'm fat." So the students have been a delight this week. One boy comes to my office every day and performs a little magic show for me with cards and rings and clown noses.

Good news today! I found out that June 2nd-4th the students are going to Jeju-do for a field trip, and there will be no classes. I will probably have show up at school anyway, but I won't be teaching any classes. Today there are no classes all day because of an exam that they are taking. The same thing is scheduled for June 8th. Last week I arrived at school on wednesday to witness perhaps one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen...There was opera music blaring across the courtyard, the Marriage of Figaro, if I'm not mistaken. The students seemed to be marching into the school, or maybe it was just the music that made it appear that way. A large mobile home was pulled up right next to the school doors. It said: Korea Catholic University Holy Family Hospital. When I sat down in my office, the teacher next to me informed me that there would be no morning classes. The students were being given their physical exams that day. Public School is so great like that... so many unexpected days off. What a pleasant start to the weekend...

1 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, May 21, 2005, Blogger Nate said...

Bridal shower... I thought the same kind of thing when I was in grade school and high school too! Boys have some similarities no matter the country huh... and yea I was walking out of work one day and a coworker asks me if I knew we didn't have classes the next day. I had no idea...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home