Thursday, May 26, 2005

Labor and Delivery

My freshman conversation lesson this week is on ordering a pizza for delivery. I teach it 16 times, so after awhile it becomes dull and I like to add little interesting sidenotes. "By the way, class, did you know that in America many people sell drugs out of their pizza delivery cars? Yes, it's true." One of the boys says to me, "Oh, teacher, really? Mary-Juana?" Yes, yes. And he continues, "Very delicious?" Ah, yes. "Teacher, have you ever smoked marijuana?" What am I to say? If they spoke English, I would reply, "I doubt that the present administration of Kyunggi-do education would look too favorably upon my answer, and I am therefore not at liberty to divulge that information to you." So, smirking and blushing, I replied, "It's a secret," and moved on to the next conversation drill.

Since I was not given a text book for any of my classes, I am required to create the entire curriculum from scratch. Most of that I did at the beginning of the semester, but as the students progress, I am forced to re-design some of the lessons I had planned. I worked quite zealously today at solidifying all of the lessons for the next two weeks so that I will have nothing pressing to do with my free time. The students are going to Jeju-do next week and then there's the holiday the week after and some extra exams that take all day, so all in all I will be working a total of six days in the next two weeks. I know, I must sound like the biggest whiner judging from some of my more recent posts. *sigh* Let's just chalk that up to the seemingly never-ending PMS. In order to pass the time of June more quickly into the summer holidays, I am considering hosting a candlelit wine-tasting party, by no means tame, in my apartment. I don't live in a shoe box, so no cause for alarm. Suggestions are welcome.

6 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, May 26, 2005, Blogger Aaron said...

Candlelight and Wine?

It's a little on the haughty side. How about a hoe-down, with moonshine and shotguns? I'll bring the pickup and bloodhounds.

 
At 8:26 AM, May 26, 2005, Blogger asiatown77 said...

Sounds perfect.

 
At 4:29 PM, May 26, 2005, Blogger Miss Marjie said...

Send a car for me, and I'm there!

 
At 7:03 PM, May 27, 2005, Blogger Juggy said...

Well everyone is focusing on the wine, I'm more interested in your lessons.

If you were not given any texts, how do you go about creating your lessons? (i ask because myself and Aaron do quite a lot of it and I'd be curious to see what you've got ;)

 
At 3:16 AM, May 29, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

Lesson creation... well, I use some books that are laying around, and I pull from some resources off of the internet. Often I just write my own lesson. I assess their conversational needs and build from there. I have a fairly good grasp of grammar and would actually prefer to teach that instead of coversation class. I cannot imagine what this school would have done if they got somebody who wasn't willing to do this stuff. I was recruited but not really even interviewed. A korean guy called my cell phone and said, "You come to Korea?" I was like, "Okay." He said, "Okay you teach public high school?" Yup. Sure I will.

 
At 3:42 AM, May 29, 2005, Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

So I guess I'm rethinking the wine party... :oP A few of you seem to think it's a pretentious thing to do in Korea. Maybe candlelight and wine are better left to parties of two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home